GIPA request to the NSW Police Force as follows:
- All Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and other documented policies for roadside drug testing.
- Details of drug testing kits, including identification of type of kits, details of suppliers, and documentation of the tender process that was applied before NSW Police purchased kits.
- Confirmation of what substances are tested for in drug driving tests, both at the roadside and in the laboratory.
- Confirmation of what minimums/threshold amounts are detected and relied upon in both roadside and laboratory drug testing.
- Confirmation of whether alcohol and drug testing are ever performed at the same time, and in what situations.
- Confirmation regarding cannabis of whether the tests used (both roadside and at the laboratory) detect cannabis metabolites, active tetrahydrocannabinol, or both?
- Confirmation of whether saliva drug testing (either roadside or in the laboratory) detects ingestion of hemp products such as hemp oil and hemp seeds.
- Confirmation of whether drug testing (either roadside or in the laboratory) includes detection of legal or prescription drugs, such as methadone or benzodiazapines.
- Any research or studies that support NSW Police’s choice of minimum amount of drug tested for.
- Any research or studies that show any relationship between a driver’s impairment and presence of detectable illicit substances in saliva.
- Any research or studies that indicate how long cannabis will persist in saliva (particularly compared with other drugs), in both active and metabolised forms.
- Any research or studies regarding the length of the period for which cannabis use could impair driving.
- Any research or studies confirming that impairment of driving is or can be caused by ingesting hemp products such as hemp oil and hemp seeds.
Documents released include:
- Standard Operating Procedures for roadside drug testing
- Drug testing tender
- CozArt Rapiscan Operational Instructions
- Relevant Hansard and legislation
Some of the core findings include the following: